Glossary of Shoe Terms and Universal Symbols
Glossary of Shoe Construction Terms
- CM-EVA - Compression molded ethylene vinyl acetate foam. Used in the midsole as cushioning.
- Combination Lasted - The use of a fibrous, stabilizing board, glued into the heel when the shoe is being constructed. The combination of the slip lasted forefoot (for flexibility) with the stabilizing board in the heel gives the shoe more stability and versatility.
- Injection Molded EVA - Process which injects ethylene vinyl acetate foam into molds which makes it a bit more uniform and durable, but is difficult to control as it continues to expand after the injecting process.
- Last - A three dimensional model of a foot, used to physically stretch the shoes to fit, in the construction process.
- Last Shapes - Variety of shapes used to accommodate differing foot types. Related to the height of the arch; high arched feet - curved last, low arched feet - straight last. These fall into categories of: straight, semi-straight, slightly curved, semi-curved, and curved, though there is no defined parameter for the distinction between shapes.
- Medial Post - Denser CM-EVA foam, TPU device, or combinations of the two, on the inside edge of the shoe to curb pronation.
- PU - Polyurethane foam. Durable foam used for cushioning.
- Slip Last - Shoe construction method which stitches the upper of the shoe that is slipped onto a last, closing the upper with stitches down the center, under the foot, before gluing it to the midsole.
- Sockliner - The innersole of the shoe, which is usually removable.
- Strobel Slip Last - Shoe construction method which stitches a sole shaped fabric board to the upper of the shoe that is slipped onto a last, closing the upper with stitches around the perimeter of the sole. The board may be varied from thin flexible materials, thicker stable to materials, or a combination of the two stitched together, to improve stability or flexibility.
- TPU - Thermoplastic Urethane used in devices to prevent overpronation.
Universal Symbols Used in Running & Walking Shoes
Danish: Laeder. Dutch: Leder. Finnish: Nahka. French: Cuir. German: Leder. Italian: Cuoio. Portuguese: Couros e peles curtidas. Spanish: Cuero. Swedish: Skinn.
Danish: Overtrukket laeder. Dutch: Gecoat leder. Finnish: Päällystetty nahka. French: Cuir enduit. German: Beschichtetes Leder. Italian: Cuoio rivestito. Portuguese: Cuoro revestido. Spanish: Cuero untado. Swedish: Ovanläder.
Danish: Tekstil-materialer. Dutch: Textiel. Finnish: Textiili. French: Textile. German: Textil. Italian: Materiale tessile. Portuguese: Téxteis. Spanish: Textil. Swedish: Textil.
Danish: Andre materialer. Dutch: Overige materialen. Finnish: Muut materiaalit. French: Autres matériaux. German: Sonstiges Material. Italian: Altri materiali. Portuguese: Outros materiais. Spanish: Otros materiales. Swedish: Övrigt material.